Couple’s Death Suspected to be from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Rochester Hills, MI – Nov 21, 2022 – A Rochester Hills couple found unconscious in their home on Friday afternoon likely died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Paul Louis Kamulski, 75, and his wife, Frances Kamulski, 74, were unconscious and not breathing when they were found in their home by neighbors who had been asked to check on them. There were no signs of foul play in the home and an autopsy Saturday showed no signs of any suspicious injuries.

While the cause and manner of death are pending from Saturday’s autopsies performed by Oakland County Medical Examiner Dr. L.J. Dragovic, Rochester Hills Fire Department officials found the carbon monoxide level in the Kamulski’s home in the 1100 block of E. Avon Road was 185 parts per million (ppm), more than twice the lethal reading of 85 ppm. A carbon monoxide detector was found on a table in the basement near a staircase. The batteries were removed and found nearby. It was not immediately known if the carbon monoxide detector was in working condition.

“This is a horrific preventable tragedy to lose two people,” Sheriff Michael Bouchard said. “They actually had a carbon monoxide detector in the home, but for some reason it was not in place and the batteries were out of it. We always encourage people to check their smoke detectors and their carbon monoxide detectors each time we change the clocks for daylight savings.

“It’s a good idea to have more than one in your home and you can get them that run on batteries or plug-in with battery back-up. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends as they deal with this terrible loss.”

The couple was discovered in the home by neighbors who were asked to check on them by the Kaminski’s daughter, who does not live at the residence, because she was concerned after several attempts to reach them by phone were unsuccessful. The neighbors used a key to enter the home and found the couple in their bedroom. A 911 call was made, and the neighbors began administering CPR.

One of the neighbors told dispatchers she began to feel lightheaded, and she was instructed to open as many windows as she could because of possible carbon monoxide poisoning. Upon their arrival, firefighters ventilated the house. Further attempts to revive the couple were unsuccessful.

A technician from Consumers Energy ran a test on the furnace and determined it was the likely source of carbon monoxide in the home.

The case remains under investigation.


November 21, 2022, Oakland County Sheriff and Rochester.Life staff

© 2022 Rochester.Life